If you will be attending a school on the academic quarter system, you must plan to stay in our homestay program for a minimum of one academic quarter or three months. If you plan to move to an apartment within your first three months, please do not choose our homestay program as you may be responsible for payment of the balance of the minimum stay.
If you want to go out of town while you are living in an ABODE homestay, please follow the guidelines below.
- Homestay guests and hosts must discuss vacation plans in advance. Arrangements must be agreeable to all parties. Please allow enough time to make arrangements.
- If the homestay guest is on vacation for more than two consecutive weeks (14 nights), there is a 50% discount of the nightly rate.
- If the homestay guest is on vacation for less than two consecutive weeks (14 nights), there is no discount.
- The calculation is based on the number of nights, not days, of absence. The nightly rate is a fixed price determined by ABODE.
- By paying the reduced rate, homestay guests can guarantee that their room remains private to them.
- If the homestay guest and the host prefer to make the room available to a different homestay guest during the original homestay guest's vacation, all personal belongings must be moved out and stored. In this case, the homestay guest is not required to pay the host during his or her absence. However, if the homestay guest intends to return to the same homestay, the host and the homestay guest should agree firmly to the arrangements in advance. It would not be fair to the host if the homestay guest moved into an apartment shortly after returning from vacation; in that case, the homestay guest should vacate the room before leaving so the host can begin hosting another long term homestay guest. The homestay guest should plan to continue being in the homestay program for at least another quarter after returning from vacation.
This policy is revised periodically in an effort to make it fair and understandable for homestay guests and families. Please call us if you need assistance in determining your rate!
Please see Pricing for current rates.
It is our goal that the homestay experience be enjoyable for both the homestay guest and the host. Please communicate with us if there is a problem so that we can resolve it together. We can help you resolve many types of problems, such as misunderstandings, cross-cultural problems, and missed expectations.
If you have tried unsuccessfully to resolve problems with your hosts and would like a new homestay, we will be happy to assist you. We will place you with a different host at no extra charge during the first academic quarter or first three months of your homestay. We promise we will not discuss your problems with your host without your permission. We will discuss with you, ways to create a successful homestay situation with new hosts. Then, we will make a new placement and arrangements for you to move into your new homestay. If after the first academic quarter or first three months and you need to move, we will ask that you pay a reapplication fee.
Terms of the Cancellation Policy
- The $100 deposit is given to the host as a cancellation fee if the homestay guest cancels the homestay less than two weeks before arrival.
- If the homestay guest arrives and stays in the homestay as planned, the $100 is paid to the host as part of the first month's homestay fee. The homestay guest pays the remaining balance of the first month's homestay fee directly to the host upon arrival. See Pricing for details.
- If you cancel the homestay within the first month (and move to an apartment, for example), there is no refund of the first month's rent. (Please note: if you ask to move to a different homestay because you are not comfortable in the one we chose for you, we will move you as soon as possible if needed, after talking to you and reaching a conclusion that moving is the best alternative. ABODE will assist to make calculations for any refunds or payments due from or to the previous host.
- If the homestay guest chooses to move out of the homestay program within the first month, the homestay guest will not be refunded any money. Additionally, if the homestay guest leaves before the one academic quarter minimum stay, the homestay guest may be responsible to pay the remaining balance of the required minimum stay. At any time, the homestay guest will be asked to give 2 weeks notice before moving out. Two weeks notice means that the family has received payment for two weeks from the day on which the homestay guest tells them he/she is moving out.
- Download the full Minor Forms Here. (pdf).
- Read the Homestay agreement (part of the Homestay Application).