Becoming a Host
If you are a resident of the Puget Sound area and are interested in becoming a homestay host through ABODE, you should follow the steps below:
1. Verify that you can meet the minimum qualifications - You must be able and willing to provide the items below, which are promised to homestay guests.
- Traditional Homestay includes three meals per day, seven days per week. Homestay guests will learn how to make their own breakfast and lunch (self-served). Hosts should plan to prepare and eat dinner with their homestay guests most nights of the week. Hosts should also plan to accompany their guests on some activities and family events.
- Bed & Breakfast Homestay allows for more independence. Hosts will provide breakfast foods for the homestay guest to prepare for themselves (self-served). Homestay guests will be responsible to purchase their own lunch and dinner foods and cook the meals themselves. The host will also share the kitchen and other common areas of their home. Although the Bed & Breakfast Homestay does not require the same daily commitment as the Traditional Homestay, hosts should enjoy the aspects of cultural exchange with their guest.
2. Call Abode at (206) 527-8654 or use our contact us form and provide us with your home address to request an application.
3. Attend the host orientation meeting (the details will be sent to you).
4. Schedule a home visit with a representative from ABODE.
5. Hosts are paid a monthly homestay fee by their homestay guest. Homestay fees vary according to the type of homestay arrangement desired. See Homestay Options and Pricing for more information. Homestay guests pay hosts directly. For short stay groups, pricing and payment details will be determined by ABODE.