Flying to the Puget Sound area
ABODE makes arrangements for airport pickups from the Seatle-Tacoma International airport only. The Sea-Tac airport is about
10 miles (17 kilometers) south of downtown Seattle
and 15 miles (24 kilometers) north of Tacoma.
If you choose to have ABODE Homestay arrange for your airport pickup from the Sea-Tac airport, ABODE will send details to you with your finalized placement details. Airport pickups will likely be done by your host, an ABODE representative, or by a third party that may include but are not limited to taxis and shuttles.If you choose to find your own transportation from the airport to the homestay, then please make sure to keep constant communication with both ABODE and your homestay host regarding your arrival plans so that the host will be home to welcome you.
Please note: if the homestay applicant is accompanied by family or friends, then all persons (including the applicant) should make hotel reservations in advance. ABODE does not make arrangements for airport pickups when an applicant arrives with family/friends. Please go directly to the hotel with your family or friends and your host will make arrangements for you to visit their home. The homestay applicant should not start a homestay until their family/friends leave the Puget Sound.
- Airport pickup service is available between the hours of 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM, seven days per week.
- You must notify us of your exact arrival details (airline, flight number, date and time) at least seven working days before your arrival.
- There is no airport pickup service on a "blackout" date (see below), and homestays also cannot start on blackout dates.
Important: If you miss your connection or will not arrive as scheduled, you are responsible for reporting unexpected changes to us immediately.There may be additional incurred airport pickup fees. Please do not email us last-minute changes. Please call our office at (206) 527-8654 during business hours of 9:30AM - 4:30PM and leave a message, or call our emergency cell phone at (206) 719-1755 after business hours.
Homestays cannot begin (and airport pickup service is not available)
dates listed below.
||4th Thursday in November|
|Christmas Day||December 25|
|Day after Christmas||December 26 (afternoon arrivals OK)|
|New Year's Eve||December 31|
|New Year's Day||January 1|
If you will arrive in the Puget Sound area by another method (bus, train, car, etc.), please let us know in advance. Although ABODE does not offer to make arrangements for pickups at these methods of travel, we will need the information to facilitate the application and placement process.
You will have many things to do in your first week, including getting over jet lag. Your host, your school advisor, and ABODE can help you with some of these things.
- ABODE orientation: Because of our commitment to helping homestay guests and hosts have an enjoyable experience, ABODE will have a check-in orientation, usually by email during the week before or after classes have started. It is very important that students reply to the check-in orientation email with their name and email address so that we know we have the correct informaiton. We are also happy to talk or email with students if they want an opportunity to discuss issues, ask questions, or seek help.
- House keys: Your host will give you keys so you can come and go when you want within the house rules and within limits. Be sure to learn which doors must be locked for safety reasons.
- Payment: Your host will receive the $100 deposit you paid to ABODE. The remaining balance of your first month's homestay fee is due when you move in. Please pay your host within two days of your arrival. Your monthly homestay fee is due on the date you moved into the homestay. For example, if you move in on September 25th, your homestay fee is due on the 25th of every month.
- Telephone: You should plan to use your own personal cell phone or a long distance calling card for all your long distance calls. If you do not have a personal cell, your host can assist you to purchase one. Your cell phone must be billed in your name and cannot be a part of the host family's cell phone plan.
- Internet: We cannot guarantee that your host will have internet.
There is such a wide variety of options and availability that we cannot
one option available in all homestays. However, we do ask hosts to help
homestay guests get some kind of Internet service if they request it.
be responsible for any extra charges for Internet service, and you must
use your own computer. You will not be allowed to use the host's
can also use the computer labs at your school or computers in Internet
and public libraries.
- If your family or friends come with you, consider the following points:
- Family and friends accompanying the homestay guest cannot stay at the homestay. Please make hotel reservations for everyone including the homestay guest as well as airport pickup arrangements to go straight to the hotel from the airport. The host may invite family members to the home for a visit.
- If your family members or friends visit your homestay, please be careful not to make your homestay hosts feel they are being inspected or judged.
- The homestay relationship is between the homestay guest and the host. We try to treat the homestay guests as adults and allow them to learn the skills they need to function in the US. Part of the homestay guest's experience of living abroad is learning how to deal with challenges, adapting to ways of living that are different from what they know, and learning to see the value of the cross-cultural experience. We believe it is good for the homestay guest to have these experiences and that it is not helpful when their family members or friends intervene.
- Please remember that at ABODE, we are very careful about the hosts we place homestay guests with, and that we are always available if any problems arise.
- Banking: If you will stay more than three months in the Puget Sound area, it's a good idea to set up a checking and/or savings account. Two banks who have widely accessible branches and ATMs are Bank of America and Chase Bank. Please note: There is NO Citibank office in this area. Ask your host to help you with banking issues.
- School Testing and Orientation: Please call your school directly if you have any questions about the testing and orientation schedule. It is very important that you attend all events scheduled for new students because a lot of important information is given at those times. Your host is responsible for helping you learn how to get to school.
Important: If you are not comfortable in your homestay, contact us by phone or e-mail. We would be glad to talk with you about your homestay issues. We check our messages frequently during business hours, and we welcome the opportunity to help you make the most of your homestay experience!